It's been a long time.
I, like the rest of the world (ok, a bit dramatic I know) have been wasting most of my time online on Facebook. Yes, every once and a while I come across something worth reading, but for the most part? Mimes and cats, all over the place, being liked, shered and commented on.
It struck me the other day how much I miss the plain old blog. I was at Central Lakes community college whena buddy of mine turned me on to Xanga. What an awesome site! What an awesome idea. You take the time (ok, or just rant) and your friends read what you've written, and leave thoughtful, meaningful comments, or hey, no comments at all, but that was ok, the point wasn't to have a million people hanging on your every word, but to share your thoughts, feelings and ideas in your own little corner of the Internet.
Yes, Facebook allows you to create a note, but with everything else to distract you there, how often do people actually write those anymore? Hell, I know that I for one haven't written a good, thurough note in a long time, at least since last summer. Ironically I can remember clearly now as I write this that I told myself last summer in fact that I would, gosh darnit, write more thoughtful and meaningful online content.
But these days, it's so hard not to give into the instent gratification of the the Facebook world. You've barely posted something, and already you are getting likes and comments, yay! And for just a moment, just like with fast food, you feel good.
You feel good, but eventually you start to feel just a little dirty. If you stop to think about it, you know that it's true.
Typicaly, there is no real substance, no meat and bones to what you just posted on Facebook, unless it was an actual news article, that someone else had to take the time, and patience, and intentionality that good writing and good journalism requires. So you've shared something thoughtful and profound, maybe even vitally true and useful, but at the end of the day, where is your content, where is your collaboration to the world of useful and meaning human connection through your personality, ability and viewpoint?
No comments:
Post a Comment